Wednesday, August 5, 2009

The Children

Part of being parsimonious is holding the children to the debts they owe me. I mean things like extra texts they weren't supposed to use, pay per view movies, extra lunch money here and there, easy edge uses and some bigger expenses I don't care to mention. It's hard to make them pay me back. Boy21 is earning quite a bit of money but it still feels funny to ask him for the money he has borrowed. All these things do add up and I am going to be in need of really tightening up and making them pay some of their own way this coming year. No more t-shirts for every event, professional pictures, fund raising b.s.

One way to decide how to do this is to think about where I was at 15, 16 or 21. I was earning my own money, but my parents still paid my car insurance, medical expenses, school, and helped with major car repairs. I think I paid for everything else, including rent and food from age 20 on. Is that what most people do, try to do what their parents did, only a little more? I have heard some people talk about age 18 as being when their kids are expected to be on their own and self-supporting. And some do fine with that. Then why do I feel so guilty about not giving Boy16 gas money?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Boy16 should be earning his own gas money at the least. I don't remember the details of what I paid for exactly at 16, but I know I paid for gas. (Of course, it was a lot cheaper then, but then I didn't make as much per hour working as kids do now either.) Having to pay for the gas kept me in check in terms of driving too much. Did we get allowance after we started working? I don't remember, but I know I paid for things like clothes, movies, eating out, etc out of my own money. I do think I got a small stipend to eat lunch at school, but I didn't use most of that money as I ate Jello most days! Remember our clothing allowance? That was $20 a month--it started at $12, I think, then went up. But that also made me think about purchases, like event t-shirts etc. I think if kids are having to make decisions about money, you are doing okay. The details don't matter, but they need to start figuring out that they have a check--how will they use it?